Serendipity

Tuesday, October 7, 2008


I have this "thing"- whenever I run to the market, I run into someone I know...and the worse I look, the more people I run into that I haven't seen in years (Murphy's Law, right?). The other day, it was a teacher from high school, who was excited to meet Connor. I had two recently that fall into my classification of "serendipity" and of course, both happened at the market.

While in OBX this summer, on vacation of all places, I was in a market in Duck and ran into a guy I'd not seen since graduation- we were hallmates my sophomore year. The funny thing was despite 15 years passing, we recognized each other immediately, learned we are in similar roles with competing companies, and got to introduce our kids to each other.

Back home this past weekend, I ran into another hallmate from Bushnell, at Trader Joe's. And sure enough, we work for competing banks. He does not live in the area, but was stopping with his wife and infant on a drive back from a wedding. It was so nice to meet his wife and new baby, introduce Connor, and just catch up- all in the middle of the market.

I also love running into my pal Adam at Trader Joe's, although not recently. And did I mention the time I was walking down the Ringstrasse in Vienna of all places, and ran into a fellow student government member from MWC? And yes, we recognized each other and stopped to chat. Or last year catching a connecting flight in Charlotte and running into a friend from NC on her way home from Cancun? Then boarding my flight and knowing three more people on board? Ah, serendipity!

0 comments: