Back to Nature

Sunday, August 31, 2008

We've had some bizarre encounters with nature lately! Connor and I were both "bit" by a turkey last weekend and yesterday I was was bit, then peed on, by a box turtle. To put this in context, we went to Bluebird Gap Farm last weekend, one of Connor's favortite spots to run and feed the animals. It's a nice little farm right in the middle of the City of Hampton. We feed the deer, goats, cows, chickens, etc... Now, I've been pecked by chickens and roosters, bit by geese and ducks, along with cats, dogs, and goats, sucked on by a cow, nibbled by a horse, but I had yet to be bit by a turkey (not that I was trying). Connor and I were walking by the turkeys, who were obviously hungry, and one ran up, bit Connor, then bit me. Let me tell you, it HURTS! We are now watchful of the kamikaze turkey on the farm.



Yesterday, on our way to pick peaches, Connor and I spied a box turtle crossing the road and stopped to rescue him. I forgot what I quickly learned as a kid: a scared turtle pees and bites if he's not the kind to pop back into his shell. This was a fiesty one, and sure enough, was stretching his neck out as far back as he could to bite me...which is nothing compared to that turkey. I get the turtle in the car and of course, he pees all over me. Connor thought this was hilarious, me, not so much. We went to my parent's house, I cleaned up, gave the turtle some grapes and lettuce, then we let him go in their backyard. Connor felt good about rescuing an animal, just like Diego, and we were off to the peach orchards.

0 comments: